In this episode, Aaron and his wife Joey spend a rainy weekend in a cabin on the shores of Lake Superior. With nothing better to do, they talk about peak oil and other topics.
Introductions: Joey is a Professional and Master Geologist. Aaron is not.
Question of the Week: Why are some people unable to relax?
- Aaron seems completely unable to relax.
- Joey doesn't seem to have a problem relaxing at all.
- Type-A personality?
- External vs Internal stimulation?
- Hotel rooms
- Travel thoughts
- Introvert vs Extroverts? Comment on the reddit!
Science Topic of the Week: Peak Oil
- Hubbert Peak Theory
- Oil problems in the US in the 1970s.
- Was the global economic recession caused by oil prices?
- Do we deny climate change so the Arctic Ocean melts and allows us to drill for more oil?
- Oil companies made $257 Billion dollars in 2014. That is a lot of money!
- Gas costs $2.21/gallon in Texas. $3.03/gallon in California.
- It takes about 140 gallons of oil to make 328 gallons of ethanol.
- Climate refugees!
- Miami will be under water one day (soon?)!
- Flood Insurance? We are spending a lot of money on floods!
- We are all going to die. True.
- Aaron: The Upper Peninsula
- Joey: Solitude
- No references needed.
This podcast was brought to you by Katy's Dad's Cabin in the Woods, The National Science Foundation, and the University of Michigan. It was edited by the awesome Kenny Carlsen.
Post a comment to the reddit! Please!