Aaron ran the Detroit Half Marathon
Question of the Week: How much should we spend on science?
- James Webb Space Telescope costs a lot of money! 2017 budget here!
- Explorer Missions (smaller missions) can be canceled, but NASA tends to not cancel larger missions.
- Sunk cost fallacy
- Solar Probe Plus
- How do you prioritize one science goal versus another science goal?
- Some stuff we wouldn't know without Hubble
- Engineers cost a lot of money!
- Arecibo Observatory
- NASA's budget is set by Congress! Even line items! NSF's budget is much less constrained!
- NASA is $18B, while NSF is $7B.
- Bush's Vision for Space Exploration
- Aaron was sort of wrong about the Decadal Survey. It was not 2013, it was some of the Roadmaps that took place after the 2004 speech.
Science of the Week:
- Google Loon
- Elon Musk in Puerto Rico
- Using paint to cool roofs - not with just white paint, but the paint actively cools!
This podcast episode was edited by the mighty Kenny Carlsen. Thanks Kenny!
The song on the podcast is "So far, I have not found the science" by the truly awesome band Soul Coughing. I wish that they still existed as a band and had a web page! But, the lead singer was Mike Doughty, who still tours and will be in Chicago on November 18th, 2017.